blueberries for miles
|blueberries with homemade granola|
It is blueberry season here in Connecticut. I live right down the road from a huge blueberry farm, so every year, I pick basketfuls. When ever friends come to visit (especially city friends) they love going berry picking too~we usually end up with more than we know what to do with. So I thought I would share a few classic recipes with you below.
1. The best blueberry pie you will ever make (from Martha Stewart).
2. A rustic blueberry galette (I used fresh/local Arethusa ice cream to top it off).
3. Classic blueberry pancakes.
4. From Ina Garten- Homemade granola-top with blueberries and cream if you are feeling indulgent (it’s been my daily breakfast ).
* A few tips on the galette, since it was my first time around I made some mistakes I’d like to save you from making: don’t roll the dough out too thin; the bottom crust needs to be thick enough to hold all the liquid from the blueberries. Don’t over-stuff it with filling, it will drip everywhere! And be sure to line the cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper to catch leaks! Also, if you make individual ones for each person, it is much easier to serve (as pictured above). It took me 3x to get it right!
Enjoy! And of course, I can’t mention blueberries without mentioning my favorite summer childhood book, Blueberries for Sal. A must read for little ones before you go picking!