It’s been way to hot to properly cook inside. With temps in the 90’s for days, my kitchen is already sweltering (hello old 1734 house with no ac). So I thought I’d share a salad I made last week, that I plan on making again and again throughout these hot days!
This is a fairly easy to follow recipe, with just some minor prep which you can even do while its still cool in the morning! I highly recommend grilling the chicken ahead of time, then you can set it aside to cool.
What you will need:
two boneless chicken breasts
1 small zucchini
1 small shallot
a handful of fresh mint
a small whole wheat baguette (its ok if its stale! )
fresh mozzarella (about 3oz.)
a sprig of fresh basil
What to do:
- toast the bread ahead of time preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop up the bread in 1/2 ” cubes and spread on a cookie sheet. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over it. cook 6-8 minutes till lightly browned. Cover the chicken breasts in love oil, and season with salt and pepper. While doing this you can place the chicken breasts on the BBQ (if you don’t have one you can sear it in a skillet)
- Halve, pit and slickly thin the nectarine. Halve and thinly slice the shallot. Chop up fresh mint finely. Set aside.
- Make zucchini ribbons (you can use a peeler for this if you don’t have a gadget. Place in a bowl and leave in fridge.
- Cut up the mozzarella and chop up the basil. Set aside.
- over low heat put the mint, nectarine & shallots in a small non stick pan, with a bit of olive oil, sauté for a bit, just until the juices are all released, and flavors are blended/ set aside in bowl.
- Slice the chicken breasts into strips once they cool.
- Finish: Toss the arugula in to a bowl, and mix in the zucchini, nectarine/combo with the fresh mozz, & basil. Add the bread , and the chicken. Lightly too with an old and vinegar dressing.
thanks to @hello fresh for sending me such great inspiration!